Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Well, I keep thinking of things to post... funny things that Sam did or said... difficult things that we're working through, etc. But for some reason, writing it all down makes it more 'real'. I know our son has autism... I see his struggles every day. But there's still a part of me that kinda wonders if this is all a dream. And writing it down seems to make it feel more like reality.

But it is our reality. Every day... every hour... for our son, it's every second. He's constantly fighting against feelings/thoughts/textures/etc that threaten to send him into a panic. We're constantly watching for triggers so we can help him readjust himself before he completely melts down. It's exhausting... and rewarding as we see him get better and better at noticing his triggers.

Because of his own struggles, he's often more compassionate when other kids go into a panic. He understands how much a loose thread can scratch your skin, make you want to cry, scream, tear your shirt off. So when he sees another kid struggling, he tries to help.

Our little boy is learning to adapt... learning to function in this world in which we all live. He has to work harder at it than the average person, but I think he'll end up appreciating so much more of life, because of it.

He's a special kiddo. We have really been given a gift.

No comments: